- 1908 John Sullivan handwritten letter with envelope
- One page hand written letter dated April 21st, 1908, signed by Heavyweight Boxing Champion John L. Sullivan who was known as "The Boston Strong Boy" in his letter.
- Written in "Hotel St. George" in New York. Letterhead to Arthur T. Lumley, Sullivan apologizes for not seeing him when Lumley tried to visit the day before. In part "Friend Author - You must not censure me it not seeing you when you called the other day. It is unfortunate for good people to be turned down... I myself have always had a great deal of admiration for you and still hold you in high esteem..." The letter is signed" John L. Sullivan"
- Both the text and signature are scripted in black fountain pen and grade 7/10 overall
- A. T. Lumley was a former editor of the "Police Gazette" which had a major influence on Pugilism at the time. Lumley was also a close friend to Sullivan and served as Sullivan's fight manager during certain portions of his career.
- Sullivan, considered a legendary Pugilist in both the bareknuckle and gloved style fighting, is credited with helping to popularize the latter. He participated in the last World Heavyweight title fight with bare knuckles, beating Jake Kilrain in a grueling battle of 75 rounds and first gloved bout for World Heavyweight Championship losing to James Corbett in the 21st round.
- He is truly and icon and innovator and is often regarded as America's first sporting celebrity and superstar. Indeed, it can be said that his popularity as responsible for assisting the advancement of American journalism and coverage.
- Great condition; envelope has edge wear and handling wear from being opened. Letter in great condition. Creasing from being folded in envelope. Minimal tears at the top crease on right and left side as well as some very light residual tearing emanating from the crease on both sides. Text and signature present very well with little to no visible fading or smudging.
- Original member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame in the first induction class of 1990
- Accompanied by a full LOA from PSA/DNA
- Measurements: Letter measurements: 5.5” x 8.5” Envelope measurements: 6” x 3.5”
- Great condition; envelope has edge wear and handling wear from being opened. Letter in great condition. Creasing from being folded in envelope. Minimal tears at top of letter where paper was folded on right and left side. Text and signature present very well with little to no visible fading or smudging.
- Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have
- Follow us on Instagram and Facebook (glorydayscollectibles) to stay up to date on our events and auctions
- Please have a look at all our other vintage / historical memorabilia; combined shipping is available
Item I.D. E5
Glory Days Collectibles is Canada’s Largest Private Collection Ensemble That Hosts an Impressive Variety
of Vintage Sports, Rock & Roll, Hollywood, Advertising and Political Memorabilia.
Newly Staffed By Knowledgeable Hobby Veterans - Bringing First Class Service To All Collectors.
***BE SURE TO BOOKMARK OUR SITE AS WE ARE CONSTANTLY ACQUIRING NEW & INTERESTING COLLECTIBLES WEEKLY.***
Please e-mail us if you require additional pictures.
Visit the Glory Days Ebay store for even more great deals on rare Sports Memorabilia, Game Used Items, Autographs, Programs, Media Guides, Game Tickets and much more!
Combined Shipping Always Available.